Tuesday 10 December 2013

Training Tuesday 4

I am now in week two of marathon training! This is a frightening/exciting prospect for two reasons. Firstly, it reminds me that at the end of this week, there are just 16 weeks left until I run 26 miles. Eek! Secondly, every week I'll be running further than I've ever run before! From now on, my Sunday mornings will involve running a mile further than the previous week, which kicked off with a 6 miler last Sunday.

I have only run 7 miles in one go once before, but due to some difficult lessons feel that I now know (generally) how to prepare for these longer runs.

Here is an example of my most difficult running lesson:

I won a competition last year to take part in the Adidas Thunder Run 2012 as part of the Womens and Mens Running magazine team. I entered the competition because I love running in the countryside, and the course looked beautiful! My team mates were all so nice, but I don't think I had any idea how hard it was going to be running at least 3 10ks in 24 hours. It turned out much harder than I thought. I had run a few 10ks previously using no training plans, and had just run a rather muddy hilly cross country 10k that I had not prepared for. Little did I know, the ache in my ankle was achilles tendinopathy, which morphed from a niggle into excrutiating pain during my second 10k of the Thunder Run - that I ran in the middle of the night. I liked the prospect of running at night (there is a video on the internet somewhere that attests to this) but as soon as I started the lap my hips ached, my legs felt like lead and my achilles hurt like anything.
Needless to say I fell over at around mile 4, cutting my knee open (I still bear the scar) and crying with frustration more than pain. I hobbled back and finished the lap in 1:20 hrs. My team mates were all consistently running 40-50 minute 10ks so this was quite embarrassing. And it was all my fault, I only had myself to blame for poor preparation.
The lesson: learn how to prepare for long runs!

After this experience (which I am grateful for-thank you Women's Running!) I consulted a physiotherapist, had a sports massage and 6 months off running, then researched getting strong and organising my training. Following the Hal Higdon plan, I feel I'm being sensible. I've actually stepped down to a Novice 1 plan, which is an even better idea for me, as it has taken the frequency and distance of my runs up just a little notch. A managable, safe, injury free notch. In addition to a sensible plan (indeed a plan!) I have decided to schedule in regular sports massages for my knotty legs and tight calf muscles, have bought a foam roller and am still endeavouring to factor in strength training in the shape of squats, lunges, planks whenever I can.

I had a mini lightbulb moment during my 6 mile run on Sunday when I got half way round the circuit and realised that I felt really good. Nothing hurt. I wanted to continue running. And I was enjoying myself! I got quite emotional.

I'll never be a brilliant runner, and don't think that I'll ever run 40 minute 10ks like my Thunder Run team mates, but with any luck and a lot of preparation, I'll be able to run the marathon.